Tuesday 13 January 2009

T.V. adverts

We know that commercial channels have to generate money and the best way to do this is through adverts and recently their phone-in competitions.
The adverts during, programs used to last about two or two and a half minutes but now they last four to five minutes which by the time the program restarts I have almost forgotten what I was watching. O.K. so I am getting older but my mind is still sound; it is not just that, the atmosphere and tension build up of some programs lose all the flow when suddenly the break interrupts.
Another example of this distraction is when watching formula one racing and although it is not as exciting as it used to be it still has it's moments and as each break comes along you lose two laps per break which can amount to ten to twelve laps missed. Between that and the loss of
momentum that had build up within the avid viewers leads to very annoying interruptions.
Surely the companies could have more consideration for the viewing public and arrange their adverts to be shown at periods suitable to the viewers.
In the case of formula one I am delighted that the B.B.C. has won the contract back and we will get an uninterrupted coverage of the race. There are other programs I avoid on the commercial stations simply because of adverts and it is probable that a lot of other viewers are lost for this same reason. I am aware that nothing will be done about this but at least I have got it off my chest and that is what this blog is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment